What is this?
This fix makes Mass Effect use raw mouse input and removes the game’s mouse acceleration. It is easy to install and use and does not require any external configuration.
While the mouse controls are pretty responsive, the first Mass Effect suffers from mouse acceleration, which cannot be turned off via the ingame settings or with the usual approaches for other Unreal Engine 3 games.
This fix removes the acceleration by acquiring raw mouse input and injecting it directly into the game’s input function.
- Raw mouse input
- No additional smoothing or positive/negative mouse acceleration
- Configuration via the ingame settings as usual
- Simple installation and usage without any external configuration
This mod is designed for the latest, fully patched versions of the supported games and might not work when used with older or otherwise modified executables.
- Retail v1.02
The mod does not make any permanent changes to the game or to Windows and can easily be removed.
- Extract the file
dinput8.dllto your main game folder. For example:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\"
- Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Steam or Origin
- Remove or rename the
dinput8.dllfrom the folder of the game.
There are currently no known issues with the mod.
Since this mod consists of an executable DLL file that uses “hacking techniques” such as injection and hooking, it could be classified as malicious by antivirus software. In that case, it might be necessary to add an exception rule to the scanner.
If you lack the trust in random people on the internet — and I would not blame you — feel free to use a meta online virus scanner like VirusTotal to verify the file.
Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors
To increase the compatibility with other mods or injectors that are using a wrapper DLL, this fix offers two methods for remote loading of additional files. Note that there might still be compatibility issues between the different fixes, mods or injectors that have nothing to do with the loading process.
The mod will load another
dinput8.dll automatically if it has the name
dinput8.dll. Just rename the DLL you want to load accordingly. Using this method will lead to an error if the renamed DLL is not itself a
The mod will also automatically load all DLLs regardless of their names in a
dinput8_Remote sub-directory. Just create a corresponding folder in the install directory of the mod. This is the only way to load multiple (conflicting) files.
Contact And Support
If you like this mod and want to support the development or show your appreciation with a donation, you can find more information on my website. There you can also find out more about other mods that I have done and means to contact me if you have a question, want to provide feedback, bug reports and suggestions.
- The y-axis inversion setting now works as intended
- Updated address system to increase compatibility with modified versions of the game
- Added support for remote loading of additional DLLs to increase the compatibility with other mods (see Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors)
- The camera will no longer move when the player is in a menu
- The fix will now respect the inversion setting of the y-axis
v0.5.1 Beta – Hotfix:
- Fixed bug that caused the Steam and retail version to crash on start
- The fix should now correctly work with Origin versions from any region
- ~~The DLL can now also be renamed and used as
xinput1_3.dll. This is to make the fix compatible with other fixes/mods that also use a
dinput8.dllfor loading~~ (This is can now be achieved via remote loading. See Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors for details)
- Patching a supported version to be large address aware no longer prevents it from being detected correctly. This is to ensure that the fix works with certain mods
- Added support for retail version of the game
- Initial release